Monday, September 17, 2007

~Top 5, Only 5, I don't know if I can limit my list to 5~

Let's talk about my top 5 tools for scrapbooking. We all have our faves. I thought I would share mine.

1) Xyron 150

I know the X150 has been around for.... forever. But come on you have to give this baby it dues. I love it, I always have. It is perfect for putting adhesive on ribbon. Re-applying adhesive to an item that has lost it's sticky (stickers, chipboard, etc.) I put tons of stuff through mine - buttons, spiral clips, chipboard, ribbon, cork, vellum. I could go on and on.

2) Crop-a-dile

It doesn't matter if it is pink or lime green. You can't beat the ability of this tool to work through tin, stacks of chipboard and of course squishing all those eyelets that we have around from the days before aluminum eyelets. If you haven't had a chance to play with the crop-a-dile you really should. It looks awkward, but it does the job.

3) Tacky Tape & Glue Dots

Nothing beats a really good "sticky situation". Tacky tape is one of those adhesives that means it. If you are going to use tacky tape you had better know exactly where you want the item because there is no do-overs. But once your embellishment is stuck, you can count on it never falling off.

Glue dots just make me happy. Did you know you can cut them in half, if you want a slightly smaller piece? This works best with the ones on the sheets. Leave the front and backing covers on, cut in half and then apply as you normally would. Plus glue lines are ingenious for adhering ribbon as well.

4) Becky Higgins Sketch Books

Her second book is my favorite of the two I have. I love the fact that the sizes of the pictures are included in each sketch. Talk about a great way to "power scrapbook" - not sure if that is a real term, but it is now. "Power scrapbooking" shall forever been know as "to create numerous pages in a limited time frame, while ensuring that each one is different from the preceding or the latter." I can't wait to take a look at Becky's third book.

5) Kits

Okay this may be a grey area, but I really do consider kits to be a tool. Any scrapbooking product that makes your scrapbooking easier, faster, more creative and more enjoyable is a tool. A good kit is easy to use with well co-ordinated and uniquely grouped products, supplied in a quantity that is easily consumable. Other enhancements like added sketches and sample layouts make a kit even better and easier to use.

I do have other tools that I would like to list, but I am trying to stick with 5. But if I did get to list more some of the would be: Cuttlebug, Clear Stamps, Acrylic Stamp Blocks, Basic Grey Precision Files, Xyron Adhesive Runner.......... Maybe next time I'll go for 10, although I don't think 10 would be enough either. Time to go check my tool kit to see which tools I'll have to discuss when I'm ready to do a list of 10.

Send me a list of your favorite scrapbook tools. I would love to find out which ones you can't live without.




2 comments:

canderson ~ Distinctive Moments said...

I often use my crop-a-dile to punch through chipboard. I also use if it I want my eyelets aligned.

Erin Nowak, Designer and Illustrator said...

I live for my crop-a-dile and Xyron 900! I found your post when I was looking for a way to put adhesive on a very large amount of ribbon. Using the 900 model was a waste of the expensive cartridges. And just plain too cumbersome for the project. Looks like I'm off to the store to buy myself a 150. Thanks for the tip,